Thursday, January 19, 2006

Meet The Competition.

We're not really competing really. I mean there's a real camaraderie between all us Mp3 blogger dudes and dudettes. It's all about spreading the good word, preaching our universal secular creed, turning stoopid regular folks onto good music. Well not FM folks, just our nice mates. Anyways all these other blogs are a lot better than mine. But they each has a slew of different contributors, and I'm here slogging away, like King Cnut - yeah it's King Cnut - ordering the tide not to come in or like the little boy with his finger in the dyke. What I'm trying to say is that I'm fighting a losing battle here, but you guys are gonna stick with me. Ain't ya?

so I went to Said the Gramophone and clicked on a few random blogs from there.

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/
This place is just so nice. It's like calling round to a sound mate who always looks out for you and gives you a cup of tea, and offers advice in a sweet, but not pushy, manner and generally is someone you can count on. The only thing that will derail this sanguine venture is if all it's contributors get busted for grooming eleven year old scenester kids, suffer the ingnomy of having their computers carted off in clear plastic bags by some Operation Ore head honcho. Or maybe some deludedteen in the mid west goes on a shooting spree and tells everyone "The gramophone told me to do it". Neither are going to happen soon.

http://popdrivel.blogspot.com/
Called 'The Smudge Of Ashen Fluff' - means something to someone, somewhere, but alas not to me- this place is a predictably competent blog, maybe a bit stoic for my tastes, but I am as of yet to uncover the Father Ted/music blog crossover that I desperately yearn for, I guess I should just get used to earnest, intelligent, thoughful places like this. fuck it anyways. Where are all the shit blogs?..........Oh, you're looking at me aren't you?

http://www.hutten.org/lsh/
'Long Sought Home' - a blog about music about the afterlife. I can't help but think about that scene in 'Bananas' with Woody Allen product testing the coffin with the headphones and he sits up and says "this will be a good seller in California". This place looks just like mine! Actually his looks a bit more spruced up, like he got that guy in from that show who helps you add value to you house before you sell it to some gullible unsuspecting cunt who didn't realise the place had no roof cos you pointed out the freshly painted skirting board. Nice blog though, serene, soulful, uplifting. I'm gonna forward the URL to Pope Benedict.

http://prewarblues.org/
"Honey, where you been so long" is dedicated to pre war blues. John Kelly would cream himself here. It's just getting depressing now. This guy has probably thenceforth some 78s the size of a tractor tire into mp3s and yesterday I didn't know how to convert an mp3 into a mp3. Way to go guys for killing my carefully nurtured naivete.

http://www.lemon-red.org/blog/
a blog that's so hip it should be behind a velvet rope. I nearly didn't get in cos I'm sitting here in a dodgy amalgam of my football gear and my pajamas - who am I fucking kidding, I'm wearing a fire-damaged pink dressingown and I'm covered in Jacobs cream crackers detritus. Happy now? Anyways, this place is shitcool, leaning towards electronica and hip-hop, and I'm guessing I'm not on the guestlist. It's got a Diplo exclusive. Well, fuck that, next week I'll have Horsebox and the Singing Brickie doing that Westlife/Guns n roses medley live from The Greasy Ball, Cranny, East Clare.

So, I've learnt I'm way out of my depth. Here's some tunes, if you like them, look the artist up on the interweb, and stop looking at me like a gormless tit. Okay, sorry for been a grumpy bollix. First up is Tim Fite. Saw him play support to Buck 65 a few months back, blew me away, his album from last is good but a bit of a mixed bag, This song is sweet but with a pleasantly caustic undertone.

Tim Fite, "away from the snakes" http://www.bigupload.com/d=593557F2


Next up The Brakes. Short, snappy, funny, great. First song is about tinkers, second about bullshitters.

The Brakes "the best fun" http://www.bigupload.com/d=078D13DA

The Brakes"heard about your band"http://www.bigupload.com/d=AE0AB6D8


And Finally.......http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/playuk.php?id=552402
(it may well become a regular feature)


Laters!

1 comment:

The DoorKeeper said...

LoL! Keep the crackers comin', and Greetings from East Clare, dude. Nice to hear our neck of the woods get a mention ;~)